To enhance the Canadian police community's capacity to respond effectively to the needs of victims of crime.
The goals of the CACP Victims of Crime Committee are:
- To enable dialogue, problem solving and innovation across Canada to address victims.
- To gather and promote effective practices.
- To focus national attention on the needs of victims.
- To promote systemic response to victims.
- To advocate for legislative changes to address the needs of victims.
Significant Accomplishments 2014/2015:
Significant Accomplishments 2015/2016:
- Produced and distributed information and training material to assist police in performing death notifications.
- Provided a Death Notification Pocket Guide and produced a death notification video titled A Knock at the Door for police officers.
- Created the Victims Rights in Canada pamphlet.
- Attended and participated in the Victims and Survivors of Crime Week, The Power of our Voices.
Activities Planned 2016/2017:
- Provide input on policies legislation and regulatory changes that impact victims of crime
- Further information gathering on victim services
- Explore the creation of victim awards.
- Increase the focus on needs of First Nations, Inuit and Métis victims.
- Explore best practices for victim support in major incidents.