- To provide a national coordinating role for traffic safety issues;
- To promote cooperation, communication and coordination among the police community and national partners;
- To promote sharing among police in research, training and policy standards;
- To develop, strengthen and maintain national partnerships;
- To maximize the resources of police and partners towards safer roads;
- To support community based service delivery by providing timely risk management information and best practices warehousing.
Significant Accomplishments 2015/2016
- Co-chairs presented report on Committee activities to CCMTA and supported the CCMTA’s annual National Day of Remembrance for Road Safety Crash Victims
- Co-chair represented CACP at the Humber College Motorcycle Awareness Day and at the Centre of Forensic Sciences’ Drugs and Driving Symposium
- Efforts focused on the development and approvals of the Drug Recognition Expert (DRE) Program, the impacts of pending legalization of marijuana on road safety and DRE training, and the impacts and driver responsibilities associated with autonomous vehicles.
- Maintained and enhanced relationships with the Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administrators, the Traffic Injury Research Foundation, the Canadian Centre for Substance Abuse, MADD Canada, IACP Highway Safety Committee, the Canada Safety Council, Telus and the CCSO Working Group on Impaired Driving
- Organized, promoted and delivered Canada Road Safety Week and Operation Impact and supported the Traffic Safety Programs Catalogue
- Coordinated and promoted the Lifetime Achievement Award and the National Police Award for Traffic Safety.
Initiatives Planned 2016/2017:
- Continue delivery of Canada Road Safety Week and Operation Impact.
- Promote sharing and research, training and policy standards through representation from all provinces
- Represent the Committee on the IACP Highway Safety Committee.
- Maintain and strengthen partnership with CCMTA, CCSA, MADD, TIRF, and the CCSO Working Group.
- Continue maintenance and input in to the Traffic Safety Programs Catalogue
- Support and judge awards for contributions to traffic safety.
- Continue support and consultation on the Drug Recognition Expert Program, marijuana legislation, autonomous vehicles, and other traffic related issues