Professional Standards Committee
Address the needs of the Canadian law enforcement community in identifying the best practices in professional standards.
- Promote innovative strategies that assist with the challenges of an evolving police organization.
- Foster the exchange of ideas regarding professional standards best practices, trends, and models within police organizations,
- Assist in the development of training and intervention systems designed to reduce the occurrences of police conduct matters.
Significant Accomplishments 2017-2018
- Continued efforts to drive the exchange of information between police agencies as it relates to comparators of discipline/conduct rates in comparable police organizations.
- Committee members provided comparators of discipline and conduct rates to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in support of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police’s ongoing initiative to update its own Conduct Measures Guide (non-financial measures) as well as key decisions on medical discharge.
- Shared the Measures Guide from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and encouraged all members of the Committee to support this initiative.
- Continued researching and sharing these comparators to help ensure consistency between police organizations and assist in tracking progress in the ongoing Legislative Reform Initiative for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
Initiatives Planned for 2019
- Create a permanent Repository of Professional Standards dispositions, measures and trends for all CACP law enforcement representatives to access.
- Exchange information related to internal communication strategies aimed at reducing the rates of police conduct matters within police organizations.