Advise on practices, issues and trends in strategic human resource management, training and education that affect policing in Canada.
- Encourage and facilitate the coordinated exchange of ideas, procedures and specific information for the professional leadership and management of all human resource components within police agencies;
- Work with and assist other CACP committees by facilitating research, identifying best practices and sharing information related to HR matters;
- Create and develop the highest standards of proficiency in policing through the fostering and encouragement of police training, education and research;
- Make recommendations for program development and course content at Canadian police academies/training and education institutions;
- Research and provide recommendations on contemporary HR related strategic priorities;
- Form liaisons and key partnerships with such other organizations as may be beneficial in achieving the objectives of the CACP;
- Enhance partnerships to progress the agenda of the CACP in the areas of Human Resources and Learning (training and professional development) by both being proactive and also addressing any issues identified by the CACP Board;
- Partner with such organizations as the CPKN and CAPE to ensure that CACP needs are being met while optimizing the use of resources with minimal overlap;
- Pursue enhanced cooperation among Canadian Police Colleges and Academies through the newly formed sub-committee;
- Enhance mental health well-being in the police workplace; and
- Address other potential issues/initiatives including, but not limited to, issues surrounding the economics of policing and the sustainability of the current model of policing.
Significant Accomplishments 2017-2018
- Participated in CPKN Stanhope conference and CAPE conference. Chair participated in planning for the 2019 BCACP/CACP Police Leadership Conference.
- Chair participated in the State and Provincial Police Academy Directors Section (SPPADS) Board of Directors.
- Identified education and training in policing as a priority issue for the CACP, with carriage by HRL committee.
Initiatives Planned for 2019
- Continue to make wellness a priority focus.
- Work with the Psychologist Sub-Committee to identify best practices for the CACP membership.
- Increase the focus on training issues through the newly created Education, Training & Professional Development Sub-Committee.