CACP Strategic Foresight
Fact Sheet (English)
Fact Sheet (French)
- To offer early-mid-career police members a uniquely challenging and high value professional development option
- To build organizational capacity in Strategic Foresight in Canadian police agencies to improve their recognition and navigation of seismic shifts in public policy
- To deliver evidence-informed ‘one voice’ propositions to the sector, via the CACP, to advance Strategic Priority #9 on Policing Futures
- To advance the goals of authentic inclusion through the empowerment and development of more diverse middle ranks & civilian populations.
- This program applies a research-driven and problem-based learning model that will require a fair degree of rigour and scholarship. In addition to the mandatory residential sessions, candidates must be able to devote sufficient time to self-directed online study and team collaboration involved, anticipated to require about 4 hours minimum per week throughout the program’s duration.
- The program aims to include a mix of sworn and civilian members of Canadian police services, widely representative of all demographics and police functions, and with at least 10-15 years of career runway remaining ahead of them. Ideal candidates will be at the ranks of Corporal, Sergeant, Staff Sergeant, or similar sworn or civilian equivalents. Exceptions on rank may be made on the discretion of nominating agency executives, and on approval by the CACP.
- All candidates for the current pilot program are subject to CACP approval. To assist with candidate approvals, nominees are encouraged to include with this form a 1-2 paragraph bio, outlining relevant work and study experience, along with reasons for their own and their agency’s interest in the CACP Strategic Foresight program.
- This pilot program results from a proposal made in August by the 12th cohort of CACP Executive Global Studies 2019, approved to a pilot level by the CACP Board in November. The program concept was set out in the Fact Sheets distributed in Calgary, available for download above.